Muhammad Haris Usmani
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA • Anticipated 2015
Masters of Science in Music and Technology
- Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan • June 2013
Bachelor of Science
• Major: Electrical Engineering • Minor: Computer Science
Specialization GPA: 3.74 CGPA: 3.68
- Bose Corporation, Framingham, MA • Summer 2014
• Digital Signal Processing Intern – Automotive Systems Division:
Developed a MATLAB toolbox to conduct psychoacoustically motivated inter-aural analysis of near-field transducers. Used MATLAB’s OOP and designed a programmatic GUI for the tool. Took in-vehicle binaural acoustic measurements, familiarized with system-level tuning and performed subjective listening tests along with objective analysis.
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA • 2013-2014
• Teaching Assistant – School of Computer Science:
Instructed 25 Students on the Principles of Computing. Conducted weekly recitation sessions along with weekly office hours.
- Five Rivers Technologies, Lahore, Pakistan • Summer 2013
• Project Consultant/Engineer at TechJango:
Designed and developed Open-source Arduino based Electronic Drums.
- Nescafé Pakistan, Lahore, Pakistan • Summer 2012
• Artist at Nescafé Basement:
Experienced ‘collaborative music-making’ under our mentor Zulfi J. Khan. Arranged, performed and recorded 6 musical pieces with 14 other musicians.
- Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan • March 2012
• Research Assistantship – Advisor: Dr. Zartash A. Uzmi
Developed and tested a Wireless Sensor Node design based on the IRIS/MicaZ architecture. Focused on providing a convenient programming interface. Successfully implemented tinyOS support on the design. Designed and used surface-mount (SMT) PCBs.
- Autosoft Dynamics, Lahore, Pakistan • Summer 2009
• Intern – Development Side:
Learned various technologies and tools including ASP.NET and SQL; designed visual art.
- Dean’s Honor List • 2010-2012
- Represented LUMS at P&G University Challenge, Battle of Bands • 2011
- 5 straight A’s in GCE A Levels and 9 straight A’s in GCE O Levels • 2004-2009
- Runners up, 5th Asian Regional Space Settlement Design Competition • 2009
- Student Council, Documentary Club President, LGS • 2008-2009
- Best Band, Rafi-Peer International Youth Performing Festival • 2008
Programming: • C/C++ • VHDL • Python • MATLAB/Simulink • MAX/MSP
Software: • Graphic Designing (Photoshop) • Web Designing/Development (Fireworks, Joomla) • Video Production (Premiere) • Music Production (Ableton Live, Pro Tools) • CAD (Autodesk Inventor) • PCB Designing (Proteus, EAGLE)
Spoken Languages: • English (Native or Bilingual) • Urdu (Native or Bilingual)
- WSN in Mines: a System Level Implementation • 2013
• Final Year Project – Advisor: Dr. Ijaz Haider Naqvi
Designed and implemented a distributed Wireless Sensor Network for event monitoring in a mining environment; focused on the routing-protocol (Network Layer); aimed to extend WSN lifetime, avoid centralized point-of-failure and counter the loss-of-sensors nodes in a particular locality.
- FPGA based Electronic Drums • Fall 2012
• Digital System Design – Course Project:
Developed a highly cost-effective FPGA based MIDI Electronic Drum-kit with extremely low latency and a natural playing response. Joined Five Rivers Technologies to launch this kit as an open-source product.
- NRSfM using Local Rigidity • 2013
• Computer Vision – Research Project – Published in IEEE WACV 2014
Non-rigid structure from motion requires exploiting local rigidity between points (rigidity in space) and between adjacent frames (rigidity in time); focused to detect rigid points (or bone-lengths) without any prior knowledge of the data-set being input, making the solution more general.
- Continuum Fingerboard-The Touch Synthesizer • Spring 2012
• Data Acquisition & Interfacing – Course Project:
Designed and implemented a prototype of a musical instrument, the Continuum (originally by Haken); used an IR-array of 14-by-5 transmitters and receivers built using crude IR diodes; designed an algorithm to eliminate environment IR noise and variation across IR diodes; used Direct Digital Synthesis to produce musical notes.
- Noise Cancellation Headphones • Fall 2011
• Devices & Electronics – Course Project:
Designed and implemented low-cost active noise-cancellation headphones; preferred the use of discrete components such as BJT Amplifiers and RF Filters; successfully cancelled low to mid frequency environmental noise, thus increased clarity of sound.
- Deewane a Capella, Carnegie Mellon University • 2013-2014
• Tenor 1 • Soloist
Participated in various performances and competitions, as Tenor 1 or Soloist. Won First Position along with the award for the Best Male Vocalists at Gathe Raho 2014 (Inter-collegiate South Asian a Capella Competition). Recorded and mixed tracks for the group at the CMU Studio.
- Music Society, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) • 2010-2011
• Director IT & Media:
Provided extensive technical support throughout the year with my team; designed visual art including logos, tickets, backdrops etc.; directed and edited videos of concerts and studio ‘Live Sessions’.
- LUMS Olympiad, LUMS
• Director IT & Media: • 2011
Designed and built a website and registration portal with my team; coordinated the printing of personalized tags and certificates; setup an entry-system for security.
• Event Co-Head for Music Video: • 2010
Arranged the screening of videos; Hosted the event; Co-ordinated with the judge.
- PsiFi, LUMS • 2010-2011
• Assistant Director: Creativity
Designed visual art including the logo and event theme.
•REFERENCES, DOCUMENTS: AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST•